To ensure the school community understands our school’s approach to first aid for students.
2. Policy Statement
From time to time Princes Hill Secondary College staff might need to administer first aid to students at school or school activities.
Parents/Carers should be aware that the goal of first aid is not to diagnose or treat a condition.
First aid for anaphylaxis and asthma are provided for in our school’s:
This policy does not include information on first aid requirements for COVID-19. Our school follows the Department’s operational guidance for first aid management relating to COVID-19.
The Principal will ensure that Princes Hill Secondary College has sufficient staff with the appropriate levels of first aid training to meet the first aid needs of the school community.
Our school's trained first aid officers are listed in our Emergency Management Plan (EMP) and managed by the Assistant Principal - Positive Climate for Learning. Our EMP includes the name, first aid qualification and date of expiry. This list is reviewed as part of the annual review of our Emergency Management Plan.
First Aid Kits
Princes Hill Secondary College will maintain:
- a major first aid kit which will be stored in the student sick bay on Level 1 in the Administration area.
- 14 portable first aid kits which may be used for excursions, camps, or yard duty. The portable first aid kits will be stored in the Front Office storeroom
The Front Office Staff will be responsible for maintaining all first aid kits, ensuring they are managed in accordance with the Department’s policy and guidance on First Aid Kits.
Care for Ill Students
Students who are unwell should not attend school.
If a student becomes unwell during the school day they may be directed to Front Office, referred to Sick Bay and monitored by staff. Depending on the nature of their symptoms, staff may contact parents/carers or an emergency contact person to ask them to collect the student.
Sick Bay Area
Our school follows the Department’s policy and guidance in relation to our first aid room/sick bay area to ensure it is safe, hygienic and appropriately equipped. See First Aid Rooms and Sick Bays.
First Aid Management
If there is a situation or incident which occurs at school or a school activity which requires first aid to be administered to a student:
- Staff who have been trained in first aid will administer first aid in accordance with their training. In an emergency situation, other staff may assist in the administration of first aid within their level of competence.
- In a medical emergency, staff may take emergency action and do not need to obtain parent/carer consent to do so. Staff may contact Triple Zero “000” for emergency medical services at any time.
- Staff may also contact NURSE-ON-CALL (on 1300 60 60 24) in an emergency. NURSE-ON-CALL provides immediate, expert health advice from a registered nurse and is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- If first aid is administered for a minor injury or condition, Princes Hill Secondary College will notify parents/carers via Compass Chronicle.
- If first aid is administered for a serious injury or condition, or in an emergency situation, school staff will attempt to contact parents/carers or emergency contacts as soon as reasonably practical.
- If staff providing first aid determine that an emergency response is not required but that medical advice is needed, school staff will ask parents/carers, or an emergency contact person, to collect the student and recommend that advice is sought from a medical practitioner.
- Whenever first aid treatment has been administered to a student Princes Hill Secondary College will:
- record the incident directly on to Compass via a Chronicle entry for first aid.
- if care was provided in response to a medical emergency or reportable incident, follow the Department’s Reporting and Managing School Incidents Policy, including reporting the incident to the Department’s Incident Support and Operations Centre on 1800 126 126 where required to under that policy.
- present to School Council an annual summary of first aid administered to students.
In accordance with guidance from the Department of Education and Training, analgesics, including paracetamol and aspirin, will not be stored at school or provided as a standard first aid treatment. This is because they can mask signs of serious illness or injury. For further information refer to the Medication Policy.
4. Evaluation & Review
This policy will be reviewed every 4 years or sooner if necessary.
OHS First Aid Home Page (including First Aid Summary Sheet) (Internal Staff Access Only)
OHS Management System – First Aid and Infection Control, where you can find:
- First Aid and Infection Prevention and Control Procedure
- First Aid Risk Assessment Template
- Guidelines for Hepatitis
- First Aid Summary Sheet
- First Aid Contents Checklist
- Safe Work Procedure-Cleaning and Handling of Blood and Bodily Fluids
7. Related Policies
Department Policy and Advisory Library (PAL) links: