The PHSC VCE Attendance policy was developed to fulfill VCAA requirements.
For each semester-length unit the following attendance policy applies:
- No more than five unexplained absences will be permitted per subject per semester. An unexplained absence in VCE means that no medical certificate has been provided. An explained absence is where a medical certicate certificate is provided. Up to seven absences will be accepted with medical certifcatescertificates.
- With this in mind family holidays should ONLY be arranged during scheduled school holidays.
- Lateness- each late is considered an unexplained absence. If a student accumulates 2 or more late arrivals over a 2 week period parents will be informed that the student will be required to attend on the Friday afternoon.
- To met the unit outcome/s students are required to complete work in class so teachers can verify and authenticate their work. Students who exceed the permitted absence rate of twelve, or who have reached six unexplained absences in a particular unit, will immediately be given an ‘unsatisfactory completion'.
- In the event of a student exceeding the permissible absence rate, the following procedures will apply:
- Firstly there will be an enrolment review. This means that the student may have to withdraw from the unit(s). However, they may be permitted to apply for consideration of disadvantage on grounds of illness or other hardship, or apply for redemption (e.g. making up for missed classes) after receiving ‘Not Satisfactory’. This could result in them obtaining ‘satisfactory completion’. Parents/guardians may be contacted at this stage.
- If student is given the opportunity to make up missed classes, they must do so done on a Wednesday or after school. The arrangement must be made with the level coordinator and class teacher and the appropriate form must be completed. The possibility of make-up classes is not automatic. If a student has not made an effort to improve attendance they might not be given the opportunity to do so. It is possible to gain an ‘N’ (not satisfactory) due to poor attendance. If students are given the opportunity to attend make up classes, they will be expected to attend 2 make up classes for every class which they did not attend over the acceptable limit.
- Teachers need to be able to show that students have met the outcome/s through completion of work in class in order to be verified and authenticated.
If a student’s absences reach six unexplained or thirteen in total, the subject teacher will arrange an interview with the level coordinator and the student to undertake an enrolment review. Parents/guardians may be contacted at this stage. dent
Parents should check Compass regularly to view their child's attendance to ensure they are complying with the above policy.